Did you know that in order to go to study or work in an English-speaking country, you must first pass the IELTS test? Well yes, in order to be admitted to University or for immigration in some countries, it is necessary to undergo a language test.
The IELTS test is officially recognized in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Ireland, South Africa, New Zealand and the USA. The result obtained in the test is comparable with the Common European Framework and with the Cambridge Assessment English. Therefore, depending on your score, you will be able to immigrate or have access to study courses in the chosen country. So what exactly does the IELTS test consist of and how should you prepare to pass it?
IELTS test: what is it
The IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is a language verification test recognized in English-speaking countries. This is an exam designed for those who want to study or work abroad. For this reason, there are two different versions of the test:
- Academic, specific for universities and masters.
- General Training, for non-university, professional or immigration study purposes.
The IELTS test, independent of the version, is then divided into four tests:
- Listening, identical for both Academic and General Training. This is a listening test, lasting approximately 40 minutes. In the first 30 the candidate must listen carefully to audio tracks, and then answer questions in the remaining 10. The aim of the test is to evaluate the ability to grasp the details of a normal conversation.
- Reading, lasting one hour. It consists of reading multiple texts and answering several questions and completing schemes. The texts of this test are specific to the two versions. For the Academic test, in fact, the candidate is asked to read a text of a scientific, political or cultural nature. For General Training, however, the texts are of a more colloquial nature, such as newspaper articles or extracts from novels.
- Writing, also lasting an hour, involves a test of writing two different texts. Again, the demands will be different for the two versions of the test. Academic candidates, in fact, will discuss specific and technical topics, where they will also have to demonstrate their cultural knowledge. For General Training, however, it will be sufficient to discuss topics of a more common nature.
- Speaking, lasting approximately 15 minutes. The candidate is subjected to a conversation test by an examiner, who will ask him various questions. These will range from common topics, such as social or political issues, to personal tastes or habits.
How to interpret IELTS test results
Once the tests are finished, the candidate will have to wait for the result (Test Report Form), typically delivered within two weeks. Inside, both the score for each test taken and the final average will be indicated. The scores range from a minimum of 1 up to a maximum of 9. Depending on the average, possibly rounded up, the candidate will discover the band to which he belongs.
To be able to immigrate to the country, you usually need to achieve at least a final score of 4. For University or Masters, however, a minimum score between 6 and 7.5 is required, which varies depending on the university. As you may have understood, the IELTS test is very complex and requires adequate preparation. If you need guidance that can help you pass the exam and chase your dreams, LingoYou Academy is here for you!
LingoYou Academy: our proposal
Passing the IELTS test and obtaining a good evaluation is essential to be able to realize your future projects. Precisely for this reason, at LingoYou Academy we offer targeted preparation to all candidates for this important certification. Thanks to our many years of experience, we are able to organize effective English courses for those who want to obtain a certification. In fact, we offer a targeted preparation path for ESOL CAMBRIDGE, IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC and TRINITY tests.
You can choose whether to attend an individual, semi-individual or group course. Furthermore, you will be supported by professional and native speaking teachers with more than 5 years of experience in the field. Together, we can achieve your next big thing!
LingoYou Academy MarketingTeam