Do you know that crazy desire to get married abroad, perhaps in Las Vegas? Well, a wedding abroad can turn out to be a breathtaking experience, but you should pay attention to some details.

According to the law reforming the Italian system of private international law, the possibility of a wedding abroad depends on the national law of each future spouse and on the foreign law of the destination country.

Consular marriage

If you wish to get married in one of the Italian consular or diplomatic representations abroad, you will first have to submit an application for a consular marriage celebration. That is, it is a document that must be presented in person or electronically, attached to a copy of your identity documents. Once the request has been accepted by the consular office, you can proceed with the publication request.

If you are an Italian citizen with foreign residence and with the same consular district, you can request the publication of a marriage in the consular representation where the marriage will take place. In the case of different consular jurisdictions, you will have to request publication in both consular representations.

Documents for getting married abroad between Italian citizens

If at least one of the spouses has Italian residence, it is also necessary to request the publication of the marriage in their municipality of residence.

For citizens of foreign citizenship who want to get married in Italy, you must strictly present the certificate of “no impediment to marriage”, issued by the authorities of your country of origin, subjected to legalization and translated into Italian, or the “certificate of matrimonial capacity ”, if one of the countries of residence is part of the European Union and the Munich Convention of 1980. Among these, there are Germany, Greece, the Netherlands, Spain, etc.

Italian citizens who wish to get married abroad in one of the countries of the 1980 Munich Convention are always required to legalize and translate documents for marriage abroad, specifically the “certificate of marital capacity”. This certificate is issued by your municipality of residence in Italy.

Once celebrated, to confer legal value the marriage certificate must be registered in one of the competent Italian municipalities. This means that the foreign civil registry office issues the marriage certificate, which will be duly subjected to legalization and translation into the language and returned to your Italian municipality or to the consular representation in Italy, so that this can provide the official transcription in civil status registers.

If the country issuing the document is part of the 1976 Vienna Convention on the Issuance of Multilingual Extracts from Civil Status Documents, then you will not need to legalize the document, at most a certified translation.

As a general rule, a certified and/or sworn translation of personal documents is always required, such as a certificate of free status, birth certificate, certificate of residence and citizenship.

We remind you that each individual case must be studied and analyzed individually, although in general the rules and regulations of the civil code and international laws are followed.

In the event that getting married abroad requires the translation of specific documents for the wedding, in order to certify their legal validity, since they are official documents, our advice is to always rely on competent offices and certified and specialized translation agencies , like us at LingoYou.

For years now in the field of translation and localization, we have been dealing with certified and legalized translations every day, relieving our clients from the long and tortuous bureaucratic process.

LingoYou Press Office

close slider

Ricevi una chiamata in 10 minuti. Mettici alla prova!